Jan 13, 2016

Here and beyond, by Alexandra Burtiuc




Hermina Csata is an artist who graduated in 1991 from the University of Art and Design of Cluj-Napoca. She studied painting, but now her style combines all the painting skills that she has with a variety of textile materials.
Recently she has had an exhibition at the Museum of Arts in Cluj-Napoca. The name of the exhibition was Emotional Topography, and it was based on painted and embroidered leather. The concept of the works was a map of the soul, in which the viewers can see emotion, facts, elements and details that constitute a certain mood. Even the fact that she combines the textile materials and different techniques make you as a viewer to think about the life itself: life is never made from one simple thing, it is made from a lot of different things and this is what makes is beautiful. C:\Users\Ale\Desktop\12308063_887024078084453_7543025835510104924_o.jpg
I could not make it to the opening, but I have seen the exhibition with my classmates. The first impression was Wow! How could she do THAT? And it was a great thig to see! I was impressed by the little details on each and every piece of work and the effect that those details create in an image. And the scale of the works was impressive too. All of them were large. She used the both sides of the leather, a lot of golden thread, acrylic colours, embroidery, and in some of the works she used silk. The mix was an ingenious idea, and how all of these come together is amazing.
There were some of her drawings and sketches, a little bit smaller that the rest of the works, and they were next to the final result. The colours, the line, everything was exactly the same as it was in the sketch, which proves that if you have a good idea you do not need to chance a thing.
There was a certain work that I liked. It is called Faun. I have seen the sketch and the final work. What I liked about this was how it made me fell. I wanted to have a jacket made like that, I wanted to have it, I wanted to be embraced by it. I felt connected with it.
Probably it was the purpose of the exhibition: making the emotions of the viewers to came to life just by showing some images of her personal emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We value your thoughts!